Monday, August 7, 2017

Big of a Blessing a Mission Is

Dear family,

What a long week....

Office life is pretty difficult, and can be a real pain in the butt the majority of the time. many people think all we do is mess around on computers while sitting in an air conditioned room and drive around in cars. while we do have air con and cars, the work we do is ridiculous. It helps me be more sympathetic to those who do the work now. We do get some proselyting time, but not too much, and we have not had too much success. we hope to have some baptisms in September, but we aren't totally sure about that. saiung.... but we are doing the best we can with the situation. 

Elder C is my new companion. he is from Lucena City, Quezon providence. He is the travel secretary, so he arranges all the travel for missionaries coming in, going home, and even people from other missions who live here in Tacloban. He is busy, but he is also a great missionary. His trainer is one of my best friends in the mission, and he and I are getting along great. I live with the other office elders, Finance and Recorder, and the assistants. it's a party always.

I mentioned how people drive in the Philippines before, but Let's review..... it's nuts. Motorcycles are swerving in and out of traffic, sometimes carrying 3-4 people, pedicabs are on the edges looking for passengers, all the cars on the road drive like they have somewhere to go, something to do always. they are fast. even the big vehicles like dump trucks, buses, things like that, the drivers drive those things like they are sport cars, weaving in and out of traffic and FLYING down the road. Many people here drive even though they don't have a drivers license. and somehow, I have only seen 1 accident before. so, when I drive, super defensive mixed with not backing down. Lots of cars, If you are not bumper to bumper with the other car, You can expect him to try to pass you. If I can drive here, I can drive anywhere. 

In the office, all 3 other office elders are the same batch, and they are all native Tagalog. That means I am left out of a lot of discussions. Before, I hated things like this. But now, I can understand a little bit more about the situation. They don't speak Tagalog just so I don't understand them... they just are more comfortable with that, just like me with English. They hang out a lot, but they are also batch and best friends, having been together in the office for 2 cycles now. I had a bad habit before of assuming people are just out to get me and mess with me, but now I can see they are normal just like anyone else and are comfortable with each other. I have learned to not be so worried about those things all the time anymore. It's been a long ride, but I really enjoy the lessons I have learned in the office so far.

I am so happy about the hygiene kits you all made for the missionaries down south. They are having a hard time right now, and the area is especially dangerous to foreigners, who many people would be happy to get rid of. Martial law has been declared, and from news stories I can actually understand, there are many gunfights between the government and rebels. In a time of hardship, I am so proud to see the Kuehne clan come together and help the people I have come to love and care for. Many great missionaries here went home/will go home to those places, and to think that you all are sacrificing to give these needed things to those people I love so much means a great deal to me, and more to them. 

I hope that everyone can see how big of a blessing a mission is. It's hard, it's rough, but the trials make me better. The Lord compared trials to a refiners fire, which burns away the chaff and leaves behind a cleaner, more beautiful diamond. we are better when we have trials. Now, that doesn't mean that we run around looking for trials... but, it does mean when trials come our way, we hold to the iron rod and push, no matter how bad it may look. We resist the adversary and his tricks so we can be better then before. I have only been here 1 year on the mission, but it has changed me so much. many of the missionaries before they came were living very different lives before. the mission is the fire, and people become closer to Jesus Christ. I have seen that, in my own life and others too.

I had a special visitor last week. It was my first zone leader in the mission, Elder F. (well, now, it's brother R.) he was such a great example to me, and it was great to see him again. he brought someone else with him, Brother N, a member from Calbayog. If he were married, he would be a member of the 70 dayon. he is a temple worker in Cebu, and has many, many spiritual gifts. We talked for a while, and he reminded me that he made 2 prophecies: the first being that elder F would be AP, which he was, and that I would be transferred to the office, which he was right again. just another reason I know spiritual gifts are real.

Harrison, Congrats on the baptism! everyone I have baptized has been very happy to be baptized, and it is a great gift from Heavenly Father to be baptized. Be a good boy, and endure till the end. Always be a good example, be kind to everyone, and do what Jesus would do. The scriptures tell you how to do that, and so will the Holy Ghost. trust them, rely on them, and you will help others.

I love you all so much. In addition, the office has permission to email any day, as long as the work gets done. So, I can spend more time talking to you all! yay. I also got to talk to Elder E, apparently he is moving to Utah. party,party

With love,

Elder Kuehne










No comments:

Post a Comment