Sunday, February 12, 2017

District Leader

dear fam,
This has been a week of work. pretty much everything is new, so, lets get started, shall we?
I have been asked to serve as a district leader. That is a big responsibility, and can be a great chance to serve others in the mission calling. it is just my companionship and one more, so it is the smallest district in the mission. thank heavens for that!
my new companion is elder H, from Spokane, Washington. he was actually Elder Rs companion in the MTC, and they are night and day. Elder H is having such a good time working hard, and is willing to work hard. he has fun, but also is willing to put in the work. I am looking forward to this companionship. When I got here, Elder H's trainer was not the greatest at working hard or updating the area book, even though Elder H really wanted to do both. so, he is having a blast with the work so far. 
My new area is called San miguel, in Leyte, south of tacloban this time. Now this is a little problem, because the language is different. It is still waray waray, but all the markers that start with "S" now start with "H" and some words are different. this presents a unique challenge, because I know the language, but i don't know the language. the area is pretty big, and we requested permission to get some bikes. hopefully, we can get them. they would be so much easier for this specific area. there are lots of rice fields, and we are walking around all the rice fields talking with all the homes of the farmers there. it is beautiful, and hopefully I can get some photos soon.
San Miguel is actually a ward, and has a very nice building. lots of members, and lots of Branch missionaries, many of whom have already gotten home from their own missions. it is pretty awesome to have that help from RM's. it just goes to show that even after the mission, the work never ends. they are all super active, always going out with us to find and teach people. they go  out of their way to do home teaching TWICE a month, going above and beyond their calling. 
you mentioned Sister T. I do know them, they are one of the most active and helpful families in Sta. Margarita. we drove by their with president Maurer, and he asked about them. Their efforts are well known throughout the mission, and they are a huge inspiration to all who know about them.
tomorrow, I will conduct my first district meeting, and I will also go to Tacloban for a district leader training. I am really excited for it, so I can get an idea what I actually need to do.
We taught a nice sister, and this was their 2nd lesson. we taught them about the Book of Mormon and the importance of the BOM. well, as it happened, Elder H already gave them a BOM, and the sister's daughter already started reading. She even took the book to high school and continued to read it. she also read all the lesson one pamphlet, and she already feels that it is true. There are truth seekers everywhere, and we get the opportunity to find them.
I love this work. the people here are great, the work is wonderful, and nothing brings me more joy and excitement that seeing how the work progresses and people can make it home after this life. It is a special thing.
I love you all, Thank you dad for all the great photos, lots of inspiration. Morgan, just work hard, forget your problems as best as you can, and have an eternal perspective. Tyler, hang in there, work hard in school, listen to mom and dad, and be a good boy.
with love,
Elder Kuehne

No comments:

Post a Comment