Monday, November 7, 2016

People Focus More on Who I Am Then What I Am


Dear fam,

How is Everyone? firstly, I want to express my love to everyone, especially family and close friends. P-day is a great day because i get to read the emails that I receive from all of you. I feel your love and support, and I cannot do this without all of you.

Unfortunately, We had a less then desirable event happen. We had to drop the G family. Tatay and Nanay have made no efforts to read or pray. they even refuse to pray after a lesson. this is not something that I want to happen, but I understand that they are not ready to receive the gospel, that they are not part of the elect right now. I always wondered what it meant when people say that a family is not ready. now, I realize they are not ready because they refuse to be, that they do not have an open heart to learn. they do not want to progress or feel a desire to grow. that is how they are not ready. I feel that one day, they will accept the gospel, but it probably won't be with us as their teachers.

in response to your question, All saints day is not quite like memorial day. here, they have two days. The first day is to remember the catholic saints and any children or teens who have passed away. the second day is for everyone else to be remembered. We did meet a couple new people, but the issue is most people do it in the morning, when we are studying the scriptures and planning. so, we missed the big crowds, but we found some people. 

so far, lots of our investigators are progressing. One of them, J, came to our church for the first time, and while a little shy, she knew some of the girls in the young women, so that made it go a bit smoother. she has great faith and a desire to learn. we also have a new family we met recently, named the C family. There are 6 of them in their small house, so they just rotate reading the Book of Mormon and the pamphlets we give them. excited to see them grow. Brother J has really improved. now, his store is closed every Sunday and he reads the book of Mormon on and off. I feel he will do much better soon. he really knows the church is true, and he is starting to reap the blessings of his labors. next week, he will receive the priesthood. 

One thing that has been noticed by everyone in the house is that sometimes, people focus more who I am then what I am. sometimes, when i talk to people in Waray, they just sit there and marvel at this young american who speaks their language. sometimes, they don't even hear the message, and when I ask them a question, they just look at me for a little bit like they are trying to remember what i asked them. sometimes, it is a little frustrating. what is even more is that it is only for missionaries with a lighter complexion. For Elder Z, who is from the Marshall Islands, and for Elder E, from American Samoa, the Filipinos aren't as impressed or pay as much attention, because of their darker skin, they just assume that these missionaries are from the Philippines. I'm not sure what is worse; having people pay attention to you, and not your message, or not pay attention to you at all. This is one of the few things i don not enjoy in the Philippines. sometimes, people don't focus on the nametag, they focus on the person. 

Other then that, all is well. we had a zone activity where we just played ball at the church building. always fun to do. I enjoy hearing about that. Everyone here is going wild about Manny Pacquiao winning his come back fight. just another week really.

Much love for you all! to mom, the members love the rings, and I love the tootsie pops. they are delicious. 

Until next week,

Elder Kuehne

No comments:

Post a Comment